About

City-Business Collaboration

City-Business Collaboration

 

Public-private innovation is rapidly developing in many global economies and the objective of new and improved solutions for climate challenges is vital considering the urgent and ambitious target that cities face.

C40 research shows that cities are looking to work collaboratively with the private sector and other stakeholders to develop and implement innovative climate solutions. However, there is a lack of systemic approaches to cross-sectoral collaboration, causing one of the main barriers to harnessing these sectors’ potential for swift innovation towards achieving international targets set out in the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.

 

When working together, the public and private sectors can drive the necessary innovation and financing for achieving these goals. This has been stressed by President of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, Petter Bakker, and Executive Director of the United Nations Global Compact, Lise Kingo.

By enabling collaboration across sectors, C40’s City Solutions Platform empowers C40 member cities to co-create climate solutions safely and effectively with different innovators whilst becoming global thought leaders for innovation in climate solutions.

Quotes from C40’s Deadline 2020 report:

Deadline 2020 is a commitment from the world’s leading cities to urgently pursue high ambition climate action, demonstrating how we can deliver on the Paris Agreement.

“Of the 51% of reductions achieved through City Action, 20% of the necessary actions can be implemented by cities unilaterally, while the remaining 80% can be delivered through a combination of collaboration and partnerships.”

“City Action alone is unlikely to be sufficient to deliver on either a 1.5 or 2 degree scenario. Collaboration with external partners and wider stakeholders will be crucial to deliver the further transitions necessary.”

“Research carried out by Arup and C40 in 2015 revealed that the capacity to collaborate with other actors may be as important to cities’ climate action as having direct control over city assets and services.”

“27,000 further actions to be delivered up to 2030 will require a mixture of cities leveraging their networks, stakeholders, and partnerships, and collaborating to drive change.”

“Mayors can deliver or influence just over half of the savings needed to put C40 cities on a 1.5 degree trajectory, a total of 525 GtCO2e by 2100. Either through their own direct action or through collaborating with partners such as the private sector.”

The CSP was a key influencing factor in forming strategic relationships and partnerships post-workshop

City of Sydney

The CSP gave a kick-start to a new strategy for flood management in the city

City of Melbourne

C40 and the CSP are very good at gathering specialist people interested in technology development

City of Rio de Janerio

The CSP helped us fundamentally rethink how we engage the private sector and establish a framework for collaborative innovation

City of Seattle

C40 and the CSP are very good at gathering specialist people interested in technology development

City of Rio de Janeiro

The CSP has helped catalyse investment to bring new ideas further forward

City of Sydney

The C40 CSP event provided a perfect platform for us to do a pre-launch for our very ambitious and globally relevant challenge

City of Helsinki

The Municipality is thankful for the CSP framework which promoted the city towards the targets of the Climate Action Plan

City of Tel Aviv-Yafo

The participation in the City Solutions Platform Live event proved to be a valuable opportunity to engage with both internal and external stakeholders on how the City of Copenhagens food procurement can support a reduction of emissions related to public meals

City of Copenhagen

Get in Touch